Looking directly at your financial details isn't always easy or fun. Whether business or personal finances, overwhelm and frustration are common and understandable. I'm here to show you that it gets SO much better when you learn how to stick with it in ways that work best for your strengths.
Looking honestly at your finances isn't always easy or fun. But it can be!!
What is financial wellness coaching?
It is NOT “6 quick tips to banish your money problems FOREVER!”.
It is, however, deep wisdom about getting your small business and/or personal finances in order. And I mean the kind of order where all aspects of your life are integrated; “wealth” includes money, but is by no means limited to money. Our time, attention, relationships and peace of mind are forms of wealth that are intricately connected with our financial choices and clarity.
I actually enjoy this financial wellness stuff! (And that was learned over time, definitely not a natural fit for me.)
I plug in my OCD’ish energy to help get finances orderly, while also making sure we don't get too tight or serious. I believe that laughter and tears are equally welcome within the realm of financial wellness coaching.
It can be confusing to understand all of the labels out there for financial professionals. In a nutshell, I can connect you with referrals if you want:
• Someone to do your bookkeeping (that's a bookkeeper, which I know how to do, but no longer accept new clients)
• Someone to advise you on your investments (that's a financial planner, and I do recommend going with a "fee-only" financial planner)
• Someone to do your taxes (that's an accountant/CPA, or an Enrolled Agent)
• Someone to help you clean up your credit report (that's a unique and somewhat tricky area, worth working with a specialist if that is meaningful to you to increase your credit score)
What I do help clients with:
• Learning how to budget and track money. Recommending and helping you set up and learn systems as needed. Helping you clarify your priorities so that it is really your best budget.
• Getting organized and tasks scheduled that will increase your financial wellness to get handled
• Looking at account setup and functions. Sometimes people need fewer accounts, sometimes they need more. Sometimes there just needs to be clarification about how the accounts are used.
• Making peace with the past when money was involved. Many people have bitter feelings that can be resolved when shared with a professional or trusted advisor.
• Improving boundaries with money. It may be with family members, people at work, or both.
• Studying and practicing mindfulness when it comes to money.
• Clarifying your priorities and your "why" of facing financial organization and making changes.
Sometimes people first reach out for a financial coach when they are in acute pain. Such as:
• chronic distracting anxiety that keeps you awake most nights, until you reach the end of your rope
• frustrating disagreements with your significant other(s) at home and/or work, whether they are verbal or more subtle/unspoken
• an unexpected sticker-shock tax bill, or other precious dollars which are soon not to be yours anymore
• repeated fights or cold tension between business partners or spouses, because one is paying attention to financial hygiene and the other is not
• an opportunity you were really stoked about, missed because your finances were not prepared or in good shape
• needing to file paperwork for a loan, mortgage, or audit, and the thought of it makes you want to cry, scream or hide (or all 3)
All of it is welcome here.
I do believe there is a solution for all of it.
I can’t guarantee the potential solutions will be pain-free or effortless, but in the long run, the peace of mind will be very worth it! The variety of experiences that I encounter in this business are truly fascinating. Sometimes people are scared to death to reach out, and then when they do, it goes as smooth as silk. Sometimes people think it won’t be that big of a deal, and then we find things that definitely count as a big deal! My experience is, LET’S FIND OUT. Together. In connection, and with grace and dignity.
We can start wherever you are right now. Overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, scared, it's all part of this journey.
Take It One Step At A Time, From Wherever You're Starting
You may want to engage in preventative care of your financial situation, and that’s very wise. Nothing has to be on fire for us to get going with the work.
And/Or, it may be time for some urgent care where we put out the immediate and obvious fires, work on tending the wounds, and then really focus on building your best case scenario financial operations plan.
Here are some articles I have written:
What do you need help with?
I Need A Budget (Whether or Not I Want One)
I Need to Learn How to Say No When Asked for Money (or Time)
I Need Money Chill. Help Me Feel Less Anxious About Money
Guide My Business Through Enhanced Cashflow Optimization